A good night`s sleep is essential for good health and allows the brain to eliminate toxins. And, while lack of sleep is harmful, excessive sleep can also negatively affect the health.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU SLEEP?
Although adults need to have around 8 hours of sleep at night, this is not adequate for all ages. For example, children under 18 need to get more sleep.
The chart by the National Sleep Foundation shows the newest recommendations.
Even though having an hour less or more sleep from time to time is not serious, making this a habit may lead to serious health problems.
WHAT HAS CHANGED?
A new range, “may be appropriate,” has been added to acknowledge the individual variability in appropriate sleep durations. The recommendations now define times as either (a) recommended; (b) may be appropriate for some individuals; or (c) not recommended.
The panel revised the recommended sleep ranges for all six children and teen age groups. A summary of the new recommendations includes:
- Newborns (0-3 months ): Sleep range narrowed to 14-17 hours each day (previously it was 12-18)
- Infants (4-11 months): Sleep range widened two hours to 12-15 hours (previously it was 14-15)
- Toddlers (1-2 years): Sleep range widened by one hour to 11-14 hours (previously it was 12-14)
- Preschoolers (3-5): Sleep range widened by one hour to 10-13 hours (previously it was 11-13)
- School age children (6-13): Sleep range widened by one hour to 9-11 hours (previously it was 10-11)
- Teenagers (14-17): Sleep range widened by one hour to 8-10 hours (previously it was 8.5-9.5)
- Younger adults (18-25): Sleep range is 7-9 hours (new age category)
- Adults (26-64): Sleep range did not change and remains 7-9 hours
- Older adults (65+): Sleep range is 7-8 hours (new age category)
HOW TO OVERCOME OVERSLEEPING
- Make a Sleep Schedule: Make a strict schedule that is compatible to your lifestyle. Unplug all devices one hour before going to sleep, meditate or practice yoga, and plan the time-sensitive activities so you could easily get out of bed in the morning.
- Shower: Take a cold shower every time you feel sleepy. Even if you want to increase the heat, this will make you sleepier.
- Work out: Exercising right after you wake up will clear your mind, boost the energy levels, and make your ready for the day!
- Drink water: Drink a glass of lukewarm water after you wake up to stay hydrated during the day. Every time feel sleepy drink up to increase your energy levels!
- Maintain your motivation: Find an interesting activity and adhere to it. This way you will stay motivated and avoid sleeping as an escape from you life.